The safety message for the use of wheat bags is:
- Always buy wheat bags with clear heating instructions as per the British Standard and follow those instructions carefully.
- Don’t use wheat bags or heat packs as bed warmers, only use for direct application to the body.
- Never overheat a wheat bag and do not use if any signs of over-use e.g. discolouration or a smell of burning or charring.
- Ensure the microwave turntable turns freely with the bag on it and is not obstructed.
- Never leave the bag in a microwave unattended when heating.
- Never reheat the bag until it has completely cooled, which could be up to two hours.
- Leave the bag to cool on a non-combustible surface such as a kitchen sink.